Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Story of Isaac:  Part 1

Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Your blood pressure's a little high.  Did you just get off work?  Rush over here?"  

"Yeah," I told the nurse at the OB/GYN office.  "I'm sure that's what it is."  

After all, my blood pressure has always been excellent, despite my propensity for eating pickles by the half-jar.  OK, maybe sometimes a whole jar.  And despite my ever-looming anxiety, just the week before, at my 37 week checkup, my blood pressure had been a very good 118/76.

A quick recheck revealed that my blood pressure was still elevated.

"I'll check it again after your appointment.  We'll see."

At this point I was not worried.  In fact, I was probably as relaxed as I had ever been throughout the entire pregnancy.  Just two weeks before, at my 36 week checkup, I was told that my baby was measuring large, and that a c-section was recommended.

This was music to my ears.  The entire pregnancy had seen me riddled with anxiety, and on top of that, I was definitely too posh to push.  Uh uh, no way, outta your mind, hell would freeze over before I would push my baby out.  Skip the drama.  Get my hair braided, a facial, and a mani-pedi, and show up at the hospital for surgery looking fresh and ready.  I had done my research, found a doctor willing to do an elective c section, and then found out my baby was going to be too big to push out anyway.  It was a huge sigh of relief.

My appointment was routine.  38 weeks, and I was looking good.  C section was scheduled for the following Tuesday, September 27, 2011.  I was not dilated or effaced, which I took as a good sign.  Isaac was snug as a bug.  No early labor for me!  No chance of Isaac making a surprise appearance and ruining my careful plans.  Not to mention my lady parts.  I figured I would go home, get some pizza, clean up, and rest while I could.

"Dr. Niang?  Her blood pressure was a little high a minute ago.  I'm going to check it again."

Me:  "What happens if it's still high?"

"You go to the hospital," no-nonsense Dr. Niang, in her Parisian accent.

Two blood pressure measurements later, Dr. Niang made the call.

"Go to the hospital.  They will monitor your blood pressure there and see if they can get it down.  I will be by to check on you later."




No comments:

Post a Comment